WATERMAN No. 420 Oversized Eyedropper Black Hard Rubber (BHR) Fountain Pen
WATERMAN No. 420 Oversized Eyedropper Black Hard Rubber (BHR) Fountain Pen with Sterling Silver Filigree, Early 1910s.
Rare Waterman No. 420 black hard rubber fountain pen with sterling silver Art Nouveau filigree. A very large and impressive instrument. The number 20 is the biggest pen ever made by Waterman. The nib is also the biggest Waterman nib. Number 10. A really stunning pen. The “4” is Waterman’s code for silver overlay pens. It is said that due to the pen’s massive size and attendant expense it was only available as a special order. The No. 420 is a legendary Grail for collectors of early American eyedroppers. The pen is fitted with a slip-on type cap and has a shoulder-less section.
Filigree engraved “WATERMAN’S IDEAL FOUNTAIN PEN / STERLING / Dewitt Miller,” endpiece marked “20”. The top cap shows some dings. Sterling Silver Clip marked Clip – Cap Ideal Pat. Sep. 26.05. Large gold heart-vent nib engraved “Waterman’s / IDEAL / New York / No. 10 (need new iridium)”. Matching black hard rubber feed. 168mm long, 20mm wide at base of cap. Excellent condition (normal signs of time, some minor scratches), crisp imprints. Should you need any further information, condition report or extra photos please do not hesitate to contact us.
- The concerned pen is pubblished in Jonathan Steinberg Fountain pens: The collector’s guide to selecting, identifying, buying and enjoying fountain pens, Eagle Edition, 2002, p. 53. The Author says “The largest, most desirable and rarest of the standard production filigree pens, this eye-dropper filler is known in only about four examples worldwide”
- Fountain Pens of the World, Andreas Lambrou, pp. 34 – 35. (“Only [one] example known”).
- Waterman Past and Present (The First Six Decades), Max Davis & Gary Lehrer, p. 30 (smallest and largest pens). The book shows a Waterman 420 in Black hard rubber next to a 20 in BHR and a 20S Prohibition Pen.
- Waterman, 125 ans d’expérience, André Mora, p. 31 (Waterman #20 BHR) and p.42 (Waterman 20 S Prohibition Pen).
- Fountain pens and pencils. The golden age of writing instruments. II edition. George Fischler – Stuart Schneider, p. 26 shows three Waterman 20 and namely: red ripple hard rubber, cardinal red hard rubber, red & black mottled hard rubber. P. 45 shows #415 & #418 in black and red hard rubber.
This is how a Waterman #420 BHR & RHR Set looks like.
For more information, details and pricing